Wednesday 6 March 2013

Walnut and Fig Biscotti

My Blackberry's screen is a whiteout, and now showing on my iPad is the non-best seller 5 Shades of Grey.
So, I've been a little technologically frustrated over the past few days.
Now, I don't like to share negative stuff; the reason I'm telling you this is because I wrote my notes for this recipe on a piece of paper, which I somehow managed to keep track of until my iPad responded to a reboot (hooray!) and I could type it into 'Pages' instead. And then I recklessly, foolishly scrunched up the paper and tossed it in the re-cycling bin.
But Shades of Grey has re-appeared (boo!) and all that I'd typed is hidden behind that impenetrable facade.

Anyway...I've managed to piece the recipe together. And I promise - it's good! (the recipe and the results!)


Walnut and Fig Biscotti
Adapted from Gina DePalma's recipe 

Pre-heat the oven to 170'C

1 cup chopped walnuts - gently roasted
1 cup finely chopped figs
1/2 cup light brown sugar and more for sprinkling
80g butter
2 eggs
275g flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract - or just a few drops of Vanilla Girl vanilla
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
Generous pinch of salt
1 egg white - lightly beaten.


Cream together the butter and sugar.
Add the whole eggs, 1 at a time; scrape down the sides of the bowl between additions.
Mix in the zest, vanilla and spices.
Sift in the flour, salt and raising agents, then add the figs and walnuts. Mix well.
Divide dough in two.
Wrap the dough in cling-wrap, and refrigerate for an hour. (I lost track of time, and left it overnight - it was fine).

Remove from fridge and shape each ball of dough into a long sausage shape.
Place on a greased baking tray.
Brush with the lightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with brown sugar.


Bake at 170'C for 20-30minutes, until done.

Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Slice, and spread out biscotti on baking trays and return to a warm oven until dried out and crisp.

Delicious with coffee and a good book...the old-fashioned real paper kind ; )



xxM

No comments:

Post a Comment