Sunday 24 June 2012

Swiss Meringue Buttercream with Hidden Centre Cupcakes

I just wanted to share a quick post with you about SMB, again...because this time when it curdled, I took pictures!

I had a plan to make Vanilla cupcakes with caramel centers, so I didn't want an overly sweet icing like butter icing, and I still had some SMB in the freezer, from the previous batch I made (see Oh, Cupcake!). Perfect!

For the Vanilla cupcakes, I used Haniela's Velvet Vanilla Pound Cake recipe, spooned the batter into cupcake cases, and added a blob of caramel to the centre, followed by some more batter. This only works with dense cakes, if you try it in a light and fluffy batter, the "secret centre" becomes a embarrassing expose on the bottom of the cupcake  ;  )

The Swiss Meringue Buttercream had thawed overnight, and I wanted to add a touch of caramel to that, too. So I heated a couple of tablespoons of caramel in the microwave, and added that to the SMB. Instant curdle!
 But I'm hardened to it now! So as unappetizing as it looked, I just proceeded to the next step - remember? Beat, beat, beat.

Curdled...


After 'old woman in the shoe' treatment....



And the final product....


I could eat one again, just looking at the picture...


xxM


No comments:

Post a Comment