Monday 19 November 2012

Mexican Cookies: Creative Cutters

I hope you know that if I've been scarce lately it's because I've been baking up a storm, and that I'll be sharing it all with you over the next few weeks...
: )

Where to start, though?

Well, just a quick one for today - before I pack up the Mexican Cookies and send them on their way.

I normally don't accept orders, but occasionally give in to a request - especially if it's a cookie project that I've been wanting an excuse to do anyway!









So, in the middle of all the Xmas class preparations I got a call for 2 dozen Mexican themed cookies. I couldn't say no to that! I immediately knew what colours I'd use - and when I have a great selection of colours in mind, I just can't wait to get going.




Then to decide on the shapes: I usually go on-line for ideas. One of my favourite cookie decorators is Callye, Sweet Sugar Belle . She does the most awesome Western and Tex /Mex style cookies. But she also did a Mexican style round-up, that you can view here  http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/05/cinco-de-mayo-round-up/ and I drew all my inspiration from there.  I'm so grateful for all the awesome decorators out there who so generously share their ideas! And I'm also very grateful for the fellow cookie enthusiasts right here: after deciding that I just had to include cacti and sombrero cookies in the batch, I then had to scramble to get hold of the cutters! So, once again: thank you, Kelsey! You're a sweetheart! 






As for the other cookies, I just used what I already have with a bit if tweaking: 

For the chilli - a carrot cutter from an Easter set, with some minor amputations....





And for the Sun - a star  cutter with the spokes pinched into shape. 





The colours for this project were:
Egg yolk yellow
Leaf green and avocado blend
Red red and super red blend
Teal and electric blue blend 
(All gel colours).

Their brightness certainly cheered me up! 


All wrapped up.

See you soon. 


xxM 


No comments:

Post a Comment