Wednesday 25 July 2018

Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins

When my daughter asked if she could have one of these dark chocolate banana muffins, I offered her the largest, only to have it rejected. I want one with sprinkles, she said. 
That’s icing sugar, not sprinkles, I pointed out. 

She rewarded me with a look that said  "Spare me the details and just hand it over, woman!" 
So of course I did. You don't argue with looks from 8 year olds!





Regardless of "sprinkles", my children love these muffins; even my son - who isn't a big fan of bananas. 
Well...that's probably because there's enough chocolate in them to make most banana-boycotters change their minds.  But it's antioxidant-rich dark chocolate: you feel yourself growing healthier with each bite 😉

One of these days, I'm going to recipe-test them with coconut flour, as a gluten free alternative (healthier with each bite, I tell you!). But for now, here's the traditional flour recipe ...




Dark Chocolate Banana Muffins
Recipe adapted from chelseasmessyapron.com

Preheat the oven to 180'C 
Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases. 

Ingredients:

160g cake flour
40g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
160g good quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped 
100g light brown sugar
125ml double cream yoghurt - plain, vanilla or coconut flavoured work well
60ml canola oil 
1 large free range egg
3 - 4 over-ripe bananas, well mashed ( to make approx. 1 cupful )
1 tsp vanilla extract

Sift together the dry ingredients, including the sugar. Mix in the pieces of dark chocolate. 

In a measuring jug, whisk together the oil, yoghurt, egg and vanilla. Mix in the banana.   


Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. (Over-mixing will result in dense muffins). 


Divide the batter evenly between the 12 cupcake cases. 
Bake at 180'C for approx. 20 minutes. 



If you give these a try with coconut flour (remember to also adjust your liquids in the recipe), let me know how they turn out.  

Happy baking!
xxM 

No comments:

Post a Comment