Saturday 20 October 2018

Honey and Horlicks Macarons

I didn't set out to make honey-coloured macarons. These were supposed to be a la natural, un-coloured, white. But a little too long in the oven and they came out honey-blonde. 
Unplanned, but not un-welcome. 
As soon as I saw them, I knew what flavour filling to use. 

When I couldn't find a key ingredient in the store, though,  I went searching for other inspiration: Something that would pair well with the colour  (of course the colour and flavour must match!!)
I received so many superb suggestions on Instagram and Facebook, that I'm going to have to make many more blonde macaron shells in the future!

Happily though, that key ingredient - Horlicks - was finally found, and I was able to follow-through on my first impulse...
Honey and Horlicks. 



Horlicks (if you're not familiar with it) is a malted milk drink. It was first sold as an "infants and invalids" food, and then that was extended to include "the aged and travellers"!
If you've drunk it you'll understand why  it was marketed as such - it has a rich, creamy, comforting taste.  
Add honey into the mix and it's like liquid sunshine!

"Honey-and-Horlicks" was my favourite milkshake flavour growing up. (And "bubblegum", I shudder to admit!)



Honey and Horlicks Ganache 

180g good quality white chocolate, cut into small even sized pieces (or use callets)
60ml fresh cream, heavy / whipping cream (35% fat content)
3 tbs Horlicks powder
1 1/2 tbs honey

Place all the ingredients together in a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water / a double boiler. Stir frequently until all the chocolate has melted.
(Alternatively melt in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring in between.)

Allow to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin forming on the surface of the ganache. When set  firm enough, pipe between macaron shells.






Find the macaron recipe I use, here. It is an old old post - forgive the photos 🙈
But it is still the recipe I'd recommend.

Happy baking!

xxM

No comments:

Post a Comment