Sunday 2 August 2015

Penguins of Madagascar Birthday Cake

I can't tell you how much I struggled with the idea of this cake!
It was my own fault - for the 2nd year in a row, I steered my son away from a Skylanders themed party (one Skylander character would be challenge enough to make, but the boy wanted 6 on his cake!) and so we settled on Penguins of Madagascar instead.



I knew that the party colours would be black, white and orange. But that was about as far as I got.
Watching several episodes of the series didn't help clarify it for me. If you've seen it, you may understand why my brain was a little bamboozled afterwards!

The Penguins of Madagascar is a spin-off of the "Madagascar" films. The series follows the adventures of four penguins: Skipper, Kowalski, Private, and Rico who perform various paramilitary missions to protect their home in the Central Park Zoo - Wikipedia. 
So, basically they're a bunch of paramilitary penguins. Ok. I can work with that....

I started with the 4 team members, Skipper, Kowalski, Private and Rico in their kung-fu-esque action poses, and took it from there...





Here are a few behind the scene, progress shots...


Checking levels 


Covering with ganache - upside down method

Ganached cake


 Fondant / modelling chocolate blend


Paneling the cake




Airbrushed


Mission accomplished!


Next year, it's definitely Skylanders - I've promised.
I'd better start working on those characters now!

Happy decorating!

xxM

No comments:

Post a Comment